Monday, April 11, 2016

I is for The Immigrants (Emigrants) (1971)


I is for...OOPS E.... I was determined to include this movie and EXODUS so here I publicly declare my absolute ignorance (also an I word)
In the 1970s as a highcshool student I went on a field trip to see this film. I remember being impacted by both the film and the discussions in school, little did I know then that in 1981 I would marry a Swede and live for five years in Malmö  part of  Skåne , Sweden    further south than Småland ;)





In the middle of the 19th century, Kristina and Karl-Oskar live in a small rural village in Småland (southern Sweden). They get married and try to make a living on a small spot of land. However, the small size of their land, the infertile soil, and some bad harvests makes it tough. One of their children even starve to death. Thus, they decide to emigrate to the U.S. They meet a group of farmers with their families planning the emigration under the leadership of a banned priest. They sell everything and embark for the U.S. The journey on the sailing ship is long and tedious. Some of the emigrants will never reach the New World.



No comments:

Post a Comment